Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A true inspiration

So, they're hitting Dallas, the hometown of Kelly Clarkson, the show's first winner. It seems weird that in 7 seasons, they've only held auditions there the one time, but they're back now, so let's see what that city has to offer.

They kind of downplayed the whole baby being born on audition day thing and being named Idol in honor of that. I remember when that happened - it was all over the news - I thought they'd do something more than just give it a quick mention, but it's still early, so who knows? Maybe it will come up again later.

Oh boy - I think tonight might be the night I shed my first "Idol" tears. They're laying the sob stories on real thick this year and the first girl up, Jessica Brown, the former drug addict, is truly inspiring. She was a meth addict and is now a stay-at-home mom of two little girls. I've been blessed in life and thankfully, have never struggled with drugs or alcohol, but I can just imagine how difficult it must be to get out from under an addiction like that and the fact that she was able to do it and find success in her life again is wonderful.

Her voice is really pretty - I wonder if they'll think it's not unique enough though. I'd like to see her through just based on her story - she says she'd like to inspire people to stay off drugs and I think it would be great if she could. Simon says she made the song interesting and she makes it through. It's nice to see her whole family waiting outside for her - I can just imagine how they've suffered along with her and her addiction - it's really touching to watch someone who's just turned it all around. I look forward to seeing more of her. What's really cool to me, too, is how she's a mom, but she's still her own woman - she showing her little girls what it is to follow a dream and I think that's great.

The next guy up, Paul Stafford, is just a sweetheart. He's a park attendant and I think he's trying out just for the fun of it because you can tell he's probably not going to be very good. He's a member of the Roller Coaster enthusiasts or something like that and he's just a sweet, likable guy. The trend continues and they're nice to him when they tell him no. Simon even comments about what a nice guy he was after he leaves the room.

I have to say, I'm really enjoying the newfound respect the judges have for the contestants. They've been really nice to just about everyone and the couple of people Simon was rude to last night comepletely deserved it.

No comments: