Thursday, March 6, 2008

Simon tells Amanda Overmyer: "I hate myself for loving you"

Amanda Overmyer's most embarrassing moment isn't all that embarrassing, I don't think. She says she used to have a fireplace that they used to set out on their deck at night and one morning she woke up to her neighbor screaming, "Your deck's on fire." So, she goes out and the whole deck is burned down, the whole side of the house is melted and half the pool is scorched and she was last person out the night before, so she's now the only chick in the world who can burn down a pool.

She sings Joan Jett's "I Hate Myself for Loving You," and I'm just so glad to see her back to normal, singing songs that suit her and dressing comfortably. She's not in a crazy outfit and her hair's not all spiked out or anything. She's wearing jeans, a tank top and a scarf - her make-up even looks kind of subdued. She looks great, comfortable and at ease. I'll admit I'm not really a fan of her voice anymore - I got tired of the rocker thing, but I do like Amanda very much and while her musical style is not my thing, I think she sounds great tonight.

Randy tells her that's the Amanda they loved when they first saw her - she's the blues-y rocker chick. He says that's the kind of song she should be singing, that's who she really is - well done. Paula says her face is beautiful and that she likes her hair. She says also that she has found her niche and this is what they fell in love with. Simon tells her, "Amanda, if I'm being honest... I thought it was... fantastic." He says she absolutely nailed that song, that it was the perfect song for her and in a way, it was one of his favorite girl performances of the entire competition.


Carly Smithson's most embarrassing moment was when she was on a break from work and she walked over to another bar to visit her friend. She got her leg stuck in the railing and her friend, who was a little bit drunk, went and got butter and oil and bathroom soap and greased up her leg. A little crowd formed and everyone was laughing at her.

Tonight, she sings "I Drove All Night," which I know as a Celine Dion song, but which was also recorded in the 80s by Roy Orbison and Cyndi Lauper. This is one of those songs that I didn't like when I first heard it, but it's actually grown on me with time. I actually heard Celine Dion perform it in Vegas and it was spectacular - the whole show was. So, I'm actually enjoying Carly's performance. She's still not one of my favorites, but really, so few of the girls are. But out of the girls, Carly has one of the best voices, so it's always nice to just be able to enjoy a song, instead of hearing bum notes here and there, like with the other girls.

Randy tells her it was very, very good. That it was another great performance. Paula tries to imitate Randy with all the dudes and the dawgs and she just sounds like an idiot. She eventually snaps out of it and says that she's found her niche and that there aren't enough adjectives to describe her voice. Simon tells her he doesn't think she's chosen the right song. He says she made the most out of it but he didn't like it. He says it's just not a great song and that it doesn't give her what she deserves because she's a million times better than that song.

Quick note. Did you all catch the brief shot of her mother? She's absolutely stunning. I was floored by how young and beautiful she is. I was a little surprised that she had only met Carly's husband twice, but I suppose if her mom lives in Ireland, it's tough to visit all that often. I don't know if I could live that far from my parents - it may seem sad, but I would miss them terribly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Carly's mom is beautiful -- I had the same reaction.

Carly is obviously a capable and talented singer, but I have yet to be "wowed" by her during this competition. And, I hate to say it, but the tat is sooooooo distracting.

Amnda was good, but Simon is off his "rocker" if he thinks it is the best performance of the competition.