Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Imagine he's the next "American Idol"


The thing people may not know about David Archuleta is that when he was 11, he got to meet the finalists of the first season of "American Idol" when he was in Los Angeles to watch the season finale. He ran into them at the hotel and he got to sing for them. He says it was scary and exciting and the contestants were so positive. He says it was one of the most memorable moments of his life.

He sings John Lennon's "Imagine," and I have to say, this is the first time I've actually enjoyed someone messing with a song that shouldn't be messed with. He didn't do anything funky with it or beatbox to it - he just slowed it down a bit and changed a note or two, and it was breath-taking. I may have run out of words to describe how amazing this kid is - I'm actually tearing up a bit at this performance. He's only 17 years old and he manages to capture this song and its message - it's just perfection. What else can be said, really? I'm speechless

And the audience just loves him, the girls are going crazy - I think I actually heard some girl scream "Marry me!" I feel like the impact he's made on this season is so huge, even if he got booted this week, he'd still get a record deal. But anyway, Randy tells him that it was one of the best vocals he has ever heard on the show, that he's singing with such maturity that all that can be said is that he's doing exactly what he was born to do, that it was brilliant. Paula tells him he's ridiculous, that she just wants to squish him and dangle him from her rear view mirror. She says that song is one of the most beautiful songs ever written and his was one of the most moving performances she's ever heard. Simon says it was very, very risky to do a John Lennon song, particularly that one, but it worked. He says David's the one to beat and that there are 19 other miserable contestants sitting there tonight.

Seriously, if you missed it, you have to watch it...



So, this week's a bit tougher to decide who should go. I think Luke Menard may go this week and maybe Jason Yeager. But it could also be Chikezie - that crazy attitude will backfire on him. I just don't know... I think I'm going with Luke Menard and Jason Yeager. Even though I think Chikezie is an idiot, his singing this week will save him, I think.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Ummm...yeah. Great Blog Eileen.

Anonymous said...

He's AMAZING. He's got it all, the voice, the youth, the looks...he's going to be a big star. I have faith that he'll surpass most pop stars and enter the ranks of Josh Grobin and John Meyer.

Anonymous said...

What a gift that David has, I keep watching that performance of his last night and I get teary every time. Then they show his mom and I can't imagine the pride and it really makes me choke up...His voice seems flawless in a way that is hard to explain...He's been given a great gift and I can't wait to hear him again.

Anonymous said...

He's another Ace Bailey

Anonymous said...

are you high? he ruined john lennon's song plus probably was forced to skip the opening of the song because they didnt want the pukechaleta tobe singing about "no countries" "no heaven" and "no religion"

and how many "oh my goshes" did the ringer say last night?

Anonymous said...

"pukechaleta tobe ????" What is that???

Yeah, I am not crazy about Mormons, really, as they are very cult-like and patriarchal. And I guess that's why Randy Jackson asked David why he skipped the first verse. But it is difficult to deny that David is an astonishingly gifted performer. I think he is going to win this contest.

Anonymous said...

What a voice! Just beautiful. I could watch that performance over and over. David did NOT ruin John Lennon's song... I thought what he did with it was great. GO DAVID!!!